Within the useless warmth of summertime, we’ll strive something to maintain cool. We eat ice cream, drink spiked cold brew coffee, put ice down our trousers…effectively possibly not that final one, however you get the purpose. The OG summertime meals straight from Mom Nature, designed to maintain us cool, is the watermelon.
Taking a giant chunk out of a slice au naturale won’t ever exit of favor, however the traditional melon has extra culinary functions than you may assume. We’ve gathered up eleven of the perfect watermelon recipes, from fruit-forward dishes to flavorful, easy-to-make cocktails, from cooks, bartenders, and different meals professionals.
(By Chef Roland Lopez, 1799 Kitchen)
A mixture of artwork and positive eating delicacies, this dish from chef Roland Lopez at 1799 Kitchen within the Harpeth Lodge in Franklin, Tennessee, will take your dinner visitor’s breath away by style and presentation. This recipe that includes compressed watermelon, pickled watermelon rind, whipped goat cheese, feta mousse, and charred champagne peaches will really check your culinary prowess. Simply don’t be too exhausting on your self in case you can’t make it look precisely like chef Lopez’s model. You possibly can serve this dish as an appetizer, salad, or dessert.
- 1 piece watermelon minimize in 1.25-inch cubes
- 2 cups rose’ (cook dinner out the alcohol)
- .25 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 sprig basil
- 1 sprig mint
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard seed, yellow
- 1 tbps star anise
- 1 tbs fennel seed
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp clove, complete
Whipped Goat Cheese Feta Mousse
- 3 ounces tempered cream cheese
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 3 ounces feta crumble
- 1-2 yellow peaches minimize into skinny slices
- 2 tsp champagne vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
- Enable to steep the rosé/sugar discount, mint, and basil for no less than half-hour.
- Cryovac and compress for no less than two days.
- When breaking down watermelon, save the rind and peel.
- Small cube and reserve.
- Convey all substances to a boil and pour over reserved watermelon rind in an airtight meal prep container.
- Reserve for a minimal 1-week
Goat Cheese and Feta Mousse
- Mix all substances in a food processor and purée till clean.
- Char peaches over a stovetop in a scorching pan with salt and pepper to style.
- In a 4-inch ring mildew, organize peaches, then stack watermelon.
- Drizzle with reserved juice of compressed melon and brine from the pickled rind.
- Garnish with mint leaves and dollops of mousse from a piping bag.
(By Shigefumi Kabashima, proprietor and bar director, NR)
If the watermelon and peaches dish is a check of your culinary skills, this cocktail, appropriately coined “watermelon” from Shigefumi Kabashima, proprietor and bar director of NYC bar NR, will likely be a check of your mixology expertise. This can be a drink you may make forward of time in giant batches and hold within the fridge to take pleasure in right away, however there may be some arduous prep that goes together with it.
You need to first infuse the Mizu No Mai Shochu for every week. Then, combine all of the substances collectively and filter. This cocktail is a labor of affection, however the work is value it. The watermelon, cucumber, tomato, and lime flavors mix collectively to offer you a cocktail that may solely be described as summertime in a glass.
- 2 oz Dehydrated Pink Tomato Infused Mizu No Mai Shochu
- 1.5 oz Watermelon
- 1/3 oz Cucumber
- 1 tsp Inexperienced Tomato Jam (purchased at specialty shops)
- 1/3 oz Lime
- Clarified (Milk Wash)
Dehydrated Pink Tomato Infused Mizu No Mai Shochu
- Slice the pink tomatoes to be very skinny.
- Then proceed by letting the tomatoes dry on a dehydrating machine for about 12 hours.
- Add about 20 items of the dried tomato chips to 1 liter of shochu.
- Infuse for one week.
- Combine all substances collectively, then combine with milk at a ratio of 6:1.
- Let the combination sit within the fridge for twenty-four hours, then take pleasure in it fully filtered and cleared.
- Garnish with pink Asian salt.
(By Susie Bulloch, founder and grillmaster, Hey Grill Hey)
Isn’t it each man’s dream to make pizza out of each meals? Grillmaster and founding father of the favored meals weblog Hey Grill Hey Susie Bulloch is making that dream come true one ingredient at a time, beginning with this scrumptious grilled watermelon pizza recipe.
- 1 20-25 pound seedless watermelon
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 6 ounces queso fresco
- ¼ cup honey
- contemporary lime wedges (as garnish)
- 1 medium pink onion (thinly sliced)
- .5 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp contemporary lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- Make the candy pickled pink onions. One hour earlier than you’re able to grill the watermelon, mix the sliced pink onion, white vinegar, lime juice, honey, and salt in a small glass bowl. Cowl and refrigerate for an hour. These may also be made days upfront, merely switch to a lidded glass jar and refrigerate till prepared to make use of.
- Preheat the grill. While you’re able to cook dinner the watermelon, preheat your grill to excessive warmth (about 450-500 levels F).
Prep the watermelon. Slice your watermelon into 1.5-inch rounds utilizing a big, sharp knife. Brush either side of the watermelon slice with the liquid from the candy pickled onions.
- Grill the watermelon. Place the watermelon rounds on the grill and cook dinner for 3-4 minutes per facet, or till there are some mild char marks on either side of the watermelon. You may have to work in just a few batches at a time to get the entire watermelon grilled in case your watermelon rounds are giant and your grill grate is small.
- Add toppings and serve. Place every grilled watermelon spherical on a big chopping board, drizzle every spherical with among the honey, just a few slices of the pickled pink onion, among the queso fresco, and a sprinkle of cilantro. Serve with a contemporary lime wedge to squeeze excessive. Serve whereas nonetheless heat.
(By Brian Malarkey, Chef’s Life)
This recipe comes from acclaimed celeb chef Brian Malarkey. It’s an important wholesome summertime dish that’s straightforward and attractive. This recipe requires Malarkey’s cooking and seasoning oil from his new line of cooking oils known as Chef’s Life. The one downside is, this recipe is so unique that the oils haven’t even launched but. Within the meantime, you need to use conventional vegetable or olive oil as a substitution.
- .5 small seedless watermelon – medium diced
- 1/3 cup Sunflower seeds – toasted
- 1 avocado – medium diced
- 3 tomatoes – medium diced
- 3 pink endives – minimize in half lengthwise and exhausting sautéed
- .25 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup feta – exhausting crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Cooks Life – cooking oil
- .5 cup Cooks Life – mixing oil
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/3 cup herbs (tarragon, dill, and parsley) – chopped
- In a big sauté pan over excessive warmth, sauté the endive in Cooks Life Cooking Oil – flat facet down – for about 1 minute. Enable the endive to get some black char then take away it from the warmth and let it cool. As soon as it has cooled, slice the endive vertically.
- To create the French dressing dressing: In a mason jar mix Cooks Life Mixing Oil with the champagne vinegar and herbs – give it an important “Tom Cruise” shake till blended.
- To create the layered salad: On a big plate, place 1/2 the diced watermelon, then the tomatoes, adopted by the endive and avocado. Generously pour the French dressing dressing excessive.
- Lastly, end with all of the toppings – hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, sea salt, pink peppercorns, feta, and at last, a drizzle of the Cooks Life Ending Oil.
Greg Kong, beverage director at Kimika in New York, says the watermelon cooler is a watermelon Daiquiri at coronary heart. Its 10-to-1 overproof white rum (a mix of Jamaican and Dominican rums) serves as the bottom for this enjoyable cocktail. Trois Rivieres Cuvee L’Ocean, a briney Rhum Agricole from Martinique, provides salinity and grassiness to stability the sweetness of the watermelon. Aperol and Lambrusco add extra summery citrus and berry notes, in addition to some sparkle from the Lambrusco. A touch of Thai chili balances out all of the flavors.
- 1.25 oz Ten To One Overproof Rum
- .5 oz Aperol
- 3 Sprint Peychauds
- 3 sprint Thai chili tincture
- .75 oz 2alted watermelon syrup
- .75 oz Lemon juice
- .5 oz Trois Rivieres Cuvee L’Ocean
- Lambrusco Rosso
- Construct in a shaking tin. Add all of the substances besides Lambrusco right into a shaking tin.
- Whip shake with 3-5 pebbled ice.
- Pressure right into a snifter glass, add pebbled ice, and high with Lambrusco.
(By Austin Blake, Govt Chef, Garrett Hospitality Group)
Ceviche, generally, is a good summer time dish stuffed with vibrant, contemporary flavors. Austin Blake, the Govt Chef of the Garrett Hospitality Group, provides his summertime spin on the dish by including chunks of watermelon to sweeten up this typically overly bitter, citrus-heavy dish.
- 1 cup white fish, diced
- 2 tbsp pink onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp cucumber, diced
- 1 tbsp. jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp watermelon, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- .5 tbsp further virgin olive oil
- Salt to style
- .5 cup watermelon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Key Lime juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-inch contemporary ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp diced white fish
- Pinch of salt
- Mix all substances in a blender and mix on excessive till garlic, ginger, and the fish have been absolutely puréed.
- Let sit refrigerated for about 5 minutes, to infuse. Cross by a fine-mesh strainer, pushing the liquid by the pulp.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all remaining substances (minus the olive oil) and your marinade.
- Gently therapeutic massage the fish, relying on how ‘cooked’ you prefer it, let it sit for wherever from 5 minutes to an hour.
- Plate, drizzle with olive oil, and serve. Get pleasure from!
This downable drink will likely be your greatest good friend. Not solely as a result of it’s made with Casamigos tequila, nevertheless it’s additionally low-carb to maintain your summer time bod in examine. This drink has the right stability of candy and spicy, with the mixture of watermelon syrup and the Aperol infused with aji-limo peppers.
- 1.5 oz Casamigos Blanco
- .5 oz Aperol infused with Aji-Limo peppers
- .25 oz watermelon syrup
- 1.5 oz contemporary watermelon juice
- .75 lime juice
- Mix substances in a shaker glass and shake to mix.
- Pour over ice.
- Garnish with a watermelon slice.
(By Cleetus Freidman, Director of Hospitality, Camp Aramoni)
Camp Aramoni is a one-of-a-kind luxurious campground for adults in Tonica, Illinois, proper on the Vermillion River. You possibly can glamp in fancy tents and cabins and eat chef-crafted meals, like this smoked watermelon gazpacho from Cleetus Freidman, Director of Hospitality. With regards to gazpacho, you both like it or hate it, whether or not it’s created from tomatoes or watermelon. We’re within the “like it” camp. The smoky sweetness of this refreshing soup is a welcomed appetizer or important course after a scorching day.
- 6 cups coarsely chopped seeded watermelon, smoked for a half-hour with hickory
- 6 cups coarsely chopped seeded watermelon
- 10 tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 rounded tablespoon paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt to style
- 1 pink onion, finely diced
- 2 cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- Mix 2 cups of watermelon in a blender till liquid.
- Add the remainder of the watermelon, the tomatoes, paprika, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and mix till clean.
- Season with salt as wanted.
- Chill for not less than 1 hour.
- Garnish with the onion and cucumber cube.
(By Matthew Belanger, head bartender, Death & Co)
Gimlets are one of the crucial refreshing summertime cocktails. What higher solution to degree up its refreshing nature than so as to add watermelon? Loss of life & Co’s (Los Angeles) head bartender Matthew Belanger has carried out simply that.
- 1.5 oz Ford’s Gin
- 0.5 oz Ramazzotti Rosato
- 0.25 oz Wray & Nephew Jamaican Rum
- 1.25 oz of watermelon syrup (3 elements watermelon to 1 half sugar)
- 0.75 oz lime juice
- 1 sprint Bitter Finish Curry Bitters
- Mix substances in a shaker glass, shake to combine.
- Serve in a double old style glass with block ice, garnish with a lime wheel.
(By Chef Noah Poses, The Fulton)
If you would like a contemporary and fancy dish to impress your dinner friends, this one from Chef Noah Poses at The Fulton in NYC will likely be exhausting to high. It’s easy, lovely, and has a superbly balanced candy, savory, and acidic taste profile.
- 2.5 cups of watermelon minimize into 1 tsp items (half of the circle)
- 1/3 cup further virgin olive oil
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 cup combined tomatoes (cherry and enormous)
- 1/4 cup pink wine French dressing
- 1/2 tsp contemporary floor black pepper
- 1/2 tsp maldon salt
- 1 tsp tarragon leaves
- 4 ea chervil
- 10 ea chive ideas
Pink Wine French dressing
- 3.5 cups of pink wine vinegar
- 1 cups EVOO
- 1/3 cup of salt
- 2 tsp shallot brunoise
- .25 cup black pepper, coarse grind
- Lower the watermelon and punch with a hoop mildew
- Toss watermelon with olive oil, salt, thyme and bake at 250 levels for two hrs.
- Calm down and reserve.
- Mix salad substances in a relaxing bowl and toss together with your desired quantity of dressing.
(from Betr Health)
Rounding out our checklist is a wholesome but scrumptious dessert from the cooks and nutritionists at Betr Well being. That is a kind of recipes that has you considering to your self, “Why didn’t I consider that?!” Don’t beat your self up; simply pick your favourite jam and luxuriate in. You possibly can mess around with yogurt as icing, too.
- 1 small watermelon, minimize horizontally Lower in thick (about 1½-inch) spherical slices.
- Jam of selection
- Seasonal combined berries
- Lower the rind off of the watermelon slices
- High together with your favourite jam
- Serve together with your favourite contemporary berries! Good for a scorching summer time deal with!