- A primary milkshake consists of ice cream and milk, however mix-ins and toppings present limitless variations.
- The simplest technique to make a milkshake is with a blender, but it surely’s additionally doable to do it by hand.
- Any type of milk can be utilized for milkshakes, however full-fat milk offers the richest, creamiest outcomes.
Milkshakes are one of the vital nostalgic and indulgent American treats. They’re really easy to make at dwelling too – all you really want is high quality ice cream and your alternative of milk.
Meredith Kong, co-owner of Lick Ice Cream in Indianapolis, is aware of a factor or two about whipping up the right milkshake, and beneath, she offers us the low-down on find out how to obtain scrumptious outcomes at dwelling.
What makes a very good milkshake?
- The ice cream: Easy flavors like vanilla and chocolate pair effectively with all kinds of toppings, however any taste will do. A very powerful tip is utilizing softened ice cream, which is able to permit every thing to mix collectively as easily as doable. Kong recommends utilizing ice cream with a excessive butter fats content material like Häagen-Dazs.
- The milk: For thick, wealthy milkshakes, use full-fat milk, however any milk will work, together with plant-based choices. “If you wish to use plant-based milk, full fats coconut milk might be your only option for creaminess,” Kong says.
- The combo-ins: From cookies and nuts, to sweet bars and frozen or recent fruit, the chances are limitless. Chop them up in small chunks and mix them within the milkshake.
- The toppings: Whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry on prime are just a few basic toppings, however you may combine issues up nonetheless you please. Recent fruit, chopped nuts, syrups, and cacao nibs are nice. You may even attempt wholesome powders like matcha, turmeric, and blue spirulina for a enjoyable and wholesome twist.
- The blender: A stand blender or stick blender at low speeds goes to provide the smoothest consistency, however you too can make a milkshake by hand with a whisk and a big bowl.
Easy methods to make a milkshake utilizing a blender
- Soften the ice cream. Permit the ice cream to take a seat out for five to 10 minutes at room temperature. The ice cream must be gentle and straightforward scoopable, with a consistency just like soft-serve.
- Add milk to the blender. Add ½ cup of milk of your alternative.
- Add the ice cream and the mix-ins. Add two to 3 two hearty scoops of ice cream into the blender. In case you are including any mix-ins, now’s the time to do it.
- Mix on low till the specified consistency. Texture and consistency relies on the fats rely and high quality of the ice cream. If the milkshake is simply too skinny, add ice cream. If it is too thick, add extra milk.
- Prime it and serve. Prime the milkshake with any of the mix-ins, or whipped cream and chocolate syrup, and revel in.
Fast tip: Home made whipped cream is richer and extra scrumptious than store-bought whipped cream. Learn how to make fluffy whipped cream at home.
Can I make a milkshake and not using a blender?
If you do not have a blender, you may nonetheless make a tasty milkshake with a whisk and a big mixing bowl. Add ice cream to the blending bowl and slowly incorporate the milk whereas whisking. Finely chop any mix-ins and whisk till you’ve got reached your required consistency.
Milkshake taste concepts
Vanilla and chocolate are good ice cream bases for including all types of toppings. Strive recent fruit with vanilla ice cream if in case you have a blender, and jam can work too in lieu of recent fruit. Chopped nuts, items of chocolate, cookie, or brownie crumbles, and candies are fashionable too.
“Chocolate goes with something” Kong says. “So if you wish to have enjoyable mixing and matching, that is your most secure guess.” At Lick, Kong additionally pairs a scoop of espresso chip ice cream with a scoop of whiskey for an Irish coffee-style milkshake.
For a wholesome contact, think about including superfood powders to vanilla. Unsweetened matcha and turmeric are nice decisions and blue spirulina is a enjoyable alternative that can flip vanilla ice cream shiny blue. You may even combine in some cookie crumbles for a Cookie Monster shake.
If you happen to want a pick-me-up, add a shot or two of espresso. Crunchy toppings like cacao nibs, sprouted buckwheat and nuts add a textural distinction, particularly if you happen to’re additionally including fluffy whipped cream.
If you happen to’re feeling particularly adventurous, attempt including olive oil to vanilla ice cream for an olive oil milkshake and prime with sprinkles of coarse sea salt.
What about leftovers?
Kong doesn’t suggest storing milkshakes. “If you happen to attempt to freeze your milkshake, when it thaws the liquid separate a bit and the feel is not nice,” she says.
If you happen to made an excessive amount of and must retailer your milkshake, you may all the time freeze them in popsicle molds for later. It’s also possible to attempt placing serving glasses within the freezer an hour earlier than you make a milkshake, to maintain the shake chilly and frozen for longer.
Milkshakes are straightforward to make at dwelling with or and not using a blender, and a enjoyable technique to get inventive within the kitchen. It takes only a couple minutes to make a milkshake with a blender as soon as the ice cream is gentle, and a bit longer by hand. Recent fruit, candies, nuts, baked items, and wholesome powders can all be used as toppings or mix-ins. Hold glasses within the freezer earlier than serving to stop your drink from melting too shortly.
How to temper chocolate on the stove and get a glossy finish
How to make an easy dessert cobbler using any fruit you want
How to make edible cookie dough that’s safe to eat raw
How to melt chocolate chips on the stovetop or in the microwave