Even one slice of standard cake — regardless of how innocent you are feeling it’s — reintroduces dangerous sugars and fat into your food regimen and reignites these candy tooth cravings. Do this cake as an alternative, which can assist hold your style buds happy, however with substances that love you again. It requires simply 30 to 35 minutes of prep.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit tutorial medical middle. Promoting on our website helps assist our mission. We don’t endorse non-Cleveland Clinic services or products. Policy
You can even swap the apricot preserves for a wide range of sugar-free jellies, and high with different contemporary fruit like peaches or blueberries.
Canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) slivered almonds, toasted
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup raisin discount*
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange zest (orange half solely), finely grated
1 teaspoon lemon zest (yellow half solely), finely grated
5 giant egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar-free apricot jelly or preserves
2 ripe mangos (about 2 cups), peeled, pitted, lower into1/3-inch cube
* Raisin discount
2 cups (about 9.5 ounces) golden raisins
2 cups water
- First make the raisin discount. Mix the raisins and water in a big saucepan. Carry to a boil over medium-high warmth. Scale back to medium-low warmth and simmer uncovered till about 3 to 4 tablespoons water ramin, 15 to 18 minutes. Take away from warmth and funky to lukewarm and mix till easy in a high-speed blender or meals processor.
- Place the rack within the middle and preheat the oven to 350º F. Flippantly coat a 9-inch springform pan with canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
- Put the almonds in a meals processor and finely grind, about 30 seconds.
- In a big bowl, combine the bottom almonds, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the raisin discount, vanilla, orange zest and lemon zest. Add the raisin discount combination to the bowl with the dry substances and stir to mix effectively.
- In one other giant bowl, use an electrical mixer to beat the egg whites till smooth peaks kind. Gently fold a 3rd of the crushed egg whites into the nut combination. Fold within the remining egg whites in a pair extra aditions, till simply included however watch out to not deflate the batter. Don’t overmix.
- Switch the batter to the ready springform pan. Bake till the middle seems mild golden and the perimeters are deep golden brown and begin to shrink away from the perimeters of the pan, 38 to 40 minutes. Tranfer toa rack and let cool within the pan for five minutes. Utilizing a small sharp knife, lower across the outer edges of the cake and take away the surface pan ring. Let cool 5 minutes extra.
- Unfold the apricot preserves over high of the nice and cozy cake, then let cool utterly. Take away the cake from the pan backside with two spatulas, and place on a serving platter. Prime the cake with the diced mango.
Dietary info (per serving)
Makes 12 servings. Serving dimension = 1 slice.
Energy: 197 kcal
Whole fiber: 3.2 g
Soluble fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 7.7 g
Whole fats: 12.7 g
Saturated fats: 0.9 g
Wholesome fat: 11.7 g
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Sugars: 7.7 g
Added sugars: 0 g
Sodium: 201 mg
Magnesium: 6 g
Calcium: 99 mg
Supply: From “The What to Eat When Cookbook” by Michael F. Roizen, MD, Michael Crupain, MD, MPH, and Jim Perko, Sr, CEC, AAC.