Cool off with a tall glass of candy, tangy, and refreshing tejuino. This fermented corn drink has been round for hundreds of years, and you will be blissful to know it is extraordinarily simple to make at dwelling!
For the Masa:
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups heat water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water for mixing
For the Syrup:
- 16 ounces piloncillo
- 4 cups water
- 2 limes
To Serve (non-compulsory):
- Sea salt
- Crushed ice or lime sorbet
For the Masa and Syrup:
- First, make the masa by whisking the salt and masa harina collectively, then add within the heat water whereas kneading it to kind a dough ball. Let the dough relaxation lined with a tea towel whilst you put together the syrup.
- In a big saucepan, carry piloncillo and 4 cups of water to simmer for 6-7 minutes, or till the sugar has dissolved. Flip the warmth all the way down to low.
- Subsequent, add 1/2 the masa to a blender with 1 cup of water. Combine till easy. Switch to the pot of piloncillo syrup whereas stirring, and repeat this course of with the second 1/2 of the masa.
- Cook dinner the combination over medium or simply over medium for 10-Quarter-hour, or till thickened. Take away the pot from warmth and let it cool for about 5 minutes, then squeeze within the juice from 2 limes and mix nicely.
- Cowl the pot (or switch to a glass/clay container) with a breathable tea towel or cheesecloth. Maintain the container in a dry, clear space for as much as 2-4 days to ferment.
- When it’s completed fermenting, mix the combination in batches with ~1/2 cup water in every batch (or sufficient to maneuver your blender). Switch to a big pot or container ~2/3 filled with ice.
- Per cup: add a pinch of salt, the juice from ½ a lime, and ice to the highest of the cup. Fill the remainder of the cup with tejuino, then combine it forwards and backwards just a few instances with one other cup to mix.
- Optionally available: add a scoop of lime sorbet (nieve de limón) or shaved ice on prime. Pleased consuming!
Uncover extra recipes with these elements